In this preparation, they are transformed into a whole new version of themselves: The beets are thinly sliced and marinated overnight in salt. They become silky soft and melt-in-your-mouth delicious, a fun facsimile of beef carpaccio. Served with a creamy roasted garlic dressing, fresh basil and capers, this platter will wow anyone who sits at your table.
Salt-Cured Beet Carpaccio [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Salt-Cured Beet Carpaccio [Vegan]
- 2 large red or candy cane beets, peeled and thinly sliced on a mandoline
- 2 teaspoons (12 g) sea salt
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) aquafaba, room temperature
For the Creamy Roasted Garlic Dressing:
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) cashew cream
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) good olive oil
- 2 tablespoons (30 ml) freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 2 teaspoons (10 g) roasted garlic
- 2 teaspoons (11 g) mellow white miso
- 1 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 1 teaspoon stone ground mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon coconut sugar
- Pinch of salt
How to Prepare Salt-Cured Beet Carpaccio [Vegan]
For the Carpaccio:
- To make the carpaccio, add the beets to a container that has a cover. Sprinkle with sea salt and use a fork to mix it all together. Cover the container, and marinate the beets in the refrigerator for 24 hours.
- After 12 hours, shake the container to redistribute the salt. After 24 hours, bring the beets to room temperature. Add the marinated beets to a strainer to drain any excess beet juice.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F (175°C, or gas mark 4). Place a piece of parchment paper on top of a piece of aluminum foil on a quarter sheet pan.
- Add the aquafaba to a medium mixing bowl. Whisk it until it becomes foamy and white. Add the beets and use a fork to mix them around. Be sure to coat all of the beets.
- Lift the beets out of the bowl and pile them onto the middle of the parchment. Gently spread out the beets with the fork, leaving a 11⁄2-inch (3.5-cm) border. Pour any excess liquid over the beets. Fold up into a tight packet and bake for 25 minutes.
- Remove the sheet pan from the oven and let the beets steam in the packet for another 5 minutes. Open the packet and let the beets stand until they cool completely.
- Use right away or store in the refrigerator until ready to use. The beets will keep for up to 1 week.
For the Dressing:
- To make the dressing, add the cashew cream, oil, lemon juice, garlic, miso, vinegar, mustard, coconut sugar and salt to a blender. Blend until smooth. Use immediately, or store in a sealed container in the refrigerator for up to 1 week or in the freezer for up to 3 months. If it has thickened up, add a splash of water and mix well.
- To assemble the carpaccio, spoon a bit of dressing on a serving platter. Arrange the beets on top of the dressing. Drizzle with a little more dressing, and decorate with basil and capers. Top with pepper and shaved macadamia.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.