This tasty recipe is packed with vegetables and make a quick and easy dinner option that is delicious and creative. The sweet roasted peppers and tomatoes are complemented by a hearty mixture of rice, beans, and zucchini and all of these flavors are studded with crunchy walnuts and flax seeds. Plus, every meal is better when it's served in a bowl you can eat.
Salsa Verde Zucchini Burrito Bowls [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4-6 long zucchini or heirloom/8-ball zucchini
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans (rinse if using canned)
- 1 cup wild rice medley
- 3 cups water or vegetable stock
- 8 medium tomatillos, husks removed and quartered
- 1 orange, yellow, or red bell pepper
- 2 jalapeño peppers
- 2 cloves garlic, peeled
- 6-8 ounces Crimini mushrooms, chopped and stems removed
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro, divided
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Chopped walnuts (Optional)
- Hemp seeds (Optional)
- If you're using long zucchini, cut them lengthwise and scoop the out flesh with a spoon. If you're using 8-ball zucchini, cut the tops off and carefully scoop out flesh without puncturing the bottom of zucchini ball. Place them in a baking dish and set them aside.
- Bring 3 cups of water or vegetable stock and rice to a boil. Reduce this to a simmer and cook the rice until it's tender; about 25-30 minutes.
- In the meantime, roast the tomatillos, bell and jalapeño peppers, and garlic until they're tender; about 20-25 minutes. Watch the garlic and remove it after about 15 minutes of roasting.
- Remove the vegetables from oven and allow them to cool.
- Increase oven heat to 375˚F.
- Chop ingredients (removing seeds and stems from peppers) and add them to the rice along with mushrooms and cooked black beans.
- Add in half of the cilantro and season the mixture with salt and pepper.
- Scoop the rice, vegetable, and bean mixture into the hollowed out zucchini.
- Add about 1/4-inch water to the bottom of the pan and bake them for 30 minutes, or until zucchini is tender. 8-ball zucchinis will take an additional 10 minutes.
- Add remaining chopped cilantro and walnuts/hemp seeds if you're using them as a garnish.