Making your own meatless sausages at home has never been easier, thanks to this delicious recipe. Made from oats, vegetable protein, and a blend of savory spices, these Spanish-style sausages are deceptively meaty and delicious. Once done, they're ready to be thrown on the grill at your next barbecue or you can freeze them for an easy weeknight dinner.
Salchichas: Spanish Oat and Protein Sausages [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Salchichas: Spanish Oat and Protein Sausages [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/2 cup gluten-free oat flakes
- 1/2 cup gluten-free rolled oats
- 1/2 cup of textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten (optional)
How to Prepare Salchichas: Spanish Oat and Protein Sausages [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- In a bowl, combine the whole rolled oats and spices.
- In a separate bowl, combine TVP and oat flakes. Cover with warm water, let soak for 10 minutes, then drain. Add to a blender, then blend until well-combined.
- Pour the blender mixture into the bowl with the oats and spices and knead until a compact dough forms — this may take several minutes. If necessary, add 1-2 tablespoons vital wheat gluten to help keep the mixture together.
- Cut a long piece of plastic wrap. Take small portions of the dough, shape into sausages, and wrap completely in plastic wrap. Tie the ends and secure with twine. Repeat until all the dough has been used.
- Bring a pot of water to a boil. Add sausages, lower heat to medium-low, and cook for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, remove sausages from water and let cool before unwrapping.
- Sausages can be grilled or frozen for future use.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.