There's nothing more disappointing than going out to eat and realizing that the only veg-friendly item is a plain ole garden salad. Whoa…hold back the excitement. BUT this salad right here turns the word boring on its ear. I jazzed things up with an Apple Chipotle Dressing and some coconut bacon. Sweet, spicy, smoky, and oh so good. It gave my plain and otherwise boring salad a bit of a makeover.
Chopped Salad With Apple Chipotle Vinaigrette [Vegan]
For the Salad:
- 1 bunch lettuce
- 1 red pepper, chopped
- 1 cucumber, diced
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
For the Apple Chipotle Dressing:
- 1 large apple (Galas or Pink Ladies would work great here)
- 1 chipotle in adobo, de-seeded
- 1/4 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon sugar (optional)
- 1/3 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup water (or as much as needed to thin)
- Salt and pepper
For the Coconut Bacon:
- 3/4 cup dried coconut flakes, unsweetened
- 1 Tablespoon liquid aminos (or substitute soy sauce)
- 1 Tablespoon liquid smoke
- 1 Tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
To Make the Salad:
- Take all the vegetables that you have and toss together in a large bowl. Set aside.
To Make the Dressing:
- In a large food processor, process the apple, chipotle, rosemary, and sugar. Blend until pureed, scraping down the sides as necessary.
- With the processor running stream in the apple cider vinegar and olive oil. Check consistency.
- Process in water as needed to thin the dressing down to your preference. Season with salt and pepper.
- Pour into container and set aside.
To Make the Coconut Bacon:
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together everything except for the coconut flakes. Once combined, add in the flakes and stir until all coated.
- Place a piece of parchment on a baking sheet and pour on your flakes. Season with paprika and pepper.
- Bake roughly 10-15 minutes, stirring every few minutes. These flakes burn quick so be careful.