This isn't the rocky road that you grew up with — it's a healthier take on a classic and it's delicious. Date nectar is used to sweeten the chocolate, adding a depth of sweetness that complements the dried fruit and the bitter cocoa. To give it that "rocky road" texture, it's filled with puffed brown rice and quinoa, dried fruits, and nuts, giving it the perfect blend of soft, chewy, and crunchy textures.
Rocky Road [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup cocoa butter
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons cocoa powder
- 2 tablespoons cacao powder
- 1/4 cup, plus 2 tablespoons date nectar
- 1/4 cup puffed brown rice
- 1/4 cup puffed quinoa
- 1/3 cup Brazil nuts
- 2 tablespoons goji berries
- 2 tablespoons raisins
- 5 Medjool dates, pitted and roughly chopped
- A pinch of salt
- Preheat the oven to 355°F
- First, make the chocolate mixture. Add the cocoa butter into the pan, and place it onto a low-medium heat to melt. When it has melted, remove it from the heat and add the cocoa powder, cacao powder, and salt. Stir it together until smooth. Next, add in the date nectar and stir it together again until smooth.
- Now, place the puffed brown rice and puffed quinoa onto a baking tray, and add it into the oven for about 30 seconds or so to crisp up (it happens quickly, so check it every 10 seconds to stop it from burning). Then, remove it from the oven, and pour it into the chocolate mixture, followed by the brazil nuts, goji berries, dates, and raisins. Stir everything together.
- Next, line a small loaf pan with baking parchment, and pour in the mixture. Then, move it into the freezer to set for about 30 minutes. When this is done, move it into the fridge for about 10 minutes. Then, remove it from the fridge, slice, and serve.