Tart and tangy Ponzu Sauce, roasted shiitake mushrooms, fresh orange slices, celery, almonds and baby greens come together to create a brightly flavorful and hearty salad that’s just as satisfying served on the side or as the main course.
Roasted Shiitake and Orange Salad With Citrus Ponzu [Vegan]
For the Citrus Ponzu:
- One 6-inch piece dried kombu
- 1 cup soy sauce
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed orange juice
- 1/4 cup freshly squeezed lime juice
- 1/2 cup dried shiitake mushrooms
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tbsp toasted sesame oil
For the Roasted Shiitake Salad with Oranges and Almonds:
- 4 cups shiitake mushrooms
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 4 or 5 oranges, peeled and cut into wedges
- 1 cup celery, cut into 1/8-inch slices
- About 6 cups baby greens
- 1 cup roasted, salted almonds
For the Salad:
- Heat the oven to 450ºF and line a baking sheet with parchment or aluminum foil.
- Wipe the mushrooms clean with a damp paper towel (do not rinse under running water). Slice into 1/4-inch pieces. Toss the mushrooms with olive oil and spread them out into an even layer on the baking sheet. Sprinkle with a generous amount of salt and pepper.
- Roast the mushrooms for 15-20 minutes, until they are a rich golden brown. Remove from the oven and let cool.
For the citrus ponzu:
- Tear the kombu into two pieces and put them into a medium size nonreactive saucepan. Pour the soy sauce, orange juice, and lime juice over the kombu. Set the pan over medium heat and bring to a simmer.
- Remove the pan from the heat and add the dried shiitakes and rice vinegar. Let the ponzu sit at room temperature for 3 hours (up to 8 hours).
- Pour the ponzu through a fine mesh strainer into a bowl. Discard the kombu and bonito flakes. Whisk in the sesame oil. Store ponzu sauce in the refrigerator for up to 10 days.
To assemble the salad:
- Put the baby greens in a bowl or divide among individual plates. Scatter the celery, roasted mushrooms, and orange pieces over the greens. Drizzle with ponzu sauce and top with almonds.