Tender, oven-roasted eggplant, chickpeas, and tomatoes come together in this creamy coconut curry. A flavorful sauce is essential to any good curry. The sauce in this recipe is made from a combination of coriander, turmeric, garam masala, cardamom, cinnamon, and cayenne. Serve this curry over a bed of freshly cooked brown basmati rice and garnish with fresh herbs of your choice.
Roasted Eggplant Coconut Curry [Vegan]
- 1 eggplant, chopped
- 1 tablespoons grapeseed oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and crushed
- Salt, to taste
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (or cooking oil of choice)
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 loose teaspoons grated ginger
- 1 15-ounce can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 heaping cup tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup coconut cream or full-fat coconut milk
- 1/2 cup filtered water
- 1 tablespoon coriander
- 1 tablespoon turmeric
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon cardamom
- Cayenne pepper, to taste
- Black pepper, to taste
- Fresh brown basmati rice
- Cilantro, for garnish
- Preheat the oven to 400ºF.
- Toss eggplant with grapeseed oil, crushed garlic, and salt and spread out on a baking sheet. Bake until browned, about 20-25 minutes.
- Heat coconut oil in a wok or large skillet over medium heat. Add onion and ginger and cook until tender, 5-6 minutes.
- Remove eggplant from oven and add to skillet. Stir in chickpeas, coconut cream, tomato, and spices. Cover and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Serve over cooked brown basmati rice topped with fresh herbs, as desired.