This soup is perfection in the fall—from color to flavor, it exudes warmth. The basic preparation is so simple, but it dresses up beautifully with a few fresh herbs or homemade croutons.Reprinted with permission from Frugal Vegan by Katie Koteen and Kate Kasbee, Page Street Publishing Co. 2017. Photo credit: Allie Lehman
Roasted Carrot Curried Soup [Vegan]
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 1/2 lb medium carrots, trimmed, peeled, sliced lengthwise, and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 medium yellow onions, quartered and sliced in 1-inch chunks
- 1 (15 oz) can full-fat coconut milk
- 2 cups water or broth
- Half a lemon, juiced
- Fresh cilantro, for serving, optional
- Preheat the oven to 400°F.
- Mix the curry powder, salt, and olive oil in the bottom of a large bowl. Add the carrots and onions to the bowl. Toss to coat, and then pour it all out onto a parchment-lined baking sheet.
- Bake until the vegetables are very tender and just beginning to caramelize for about 30 to 40 minutes.
- Remove the vegetables from the oven and transfer them to a large pot. Add coconut milk and water (or broth). Let the mixture simmer for just a few minutes. Then, working in batches, transfer to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Return the soup to the pot and warm.
- Add lemon juice and fresh cilantro before serving.