This soup is full of sweet and salty flavors that complement each other so well and mix together to come up with a creamy, filling and delicious soup. It is the perfect dish for fall!
Roasted Butternut Squash and Apple Soup [Vegan]
- 1 large Butternut Squash
- 1-2 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 apples
- 1 large onion, peeled and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 sprig fresh thyme (garnish)
- Pre heat the oven to 425°F.
- Cut the squash in half lengthwise. Scoop out the seeds, brush the halves all over lightly with olive oil. Place on a large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle the top with salt and pepper, cinnamon, cumin and a few thyme leaves.
- After 20 minutes add the apples to the baking sheet. Cut them in half, brush with olive oil and place them next to the squash. Continue to roast for approximately 30 minutes or until the squash and apples are soft to the touch. Remove from the oven.
- While the squash is roasting, pour a couple of tablespoons of olive oil into a Dutch oven or heavy based pan, add the chopped onions, sprinkle with salt and saute until golden brown. Add the garlic and saute for a further 2-3 minutes until fragrant but not burnt! Remove from heat.
- When cool enough to handle, scoop out the flesh of the squash and apples an place in a large blender. Add the onions and garlic, add the stock and blend until very smooth. Do this in batches if necessary.
- Add a swirl of heavy cream if using, check the seasonings and serve with a few pepitas and sprig of fresh thyme for garnish.