This Vegan Roast Beef Po’ Boy is the sandwich you’ve been missing. It’s messy, dripping with flavorful gravy, perfect amount of spicy, meaty, and so good.
Roast Beef Po’ Boy [Vegan]
For the Vegan Roast Beef:
- 3 cups Vital Wheat Gluten
- 1/4 cups Nutritional Yeast
- 2 teaspoons Onion Powder
- 2 teaspoons Garlic Powder
- 1 teaspoon Paprika
- 2 teaspoons Thyme
- 1 teaspoon Black Pepper
- 2 1/2 cups No-Beef Broth
- 3 tablespoons Olive Oil
- 1/4 cup Low Sodium Soy Sauce
- 2 tablespoons Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Tomato Paste
For the Gravy:
- 1/2 of a Yellow Onion, minced
- 2 Garlic Cloves, minced
- 3 tablespoons Vegan Butter
- 2 tablespoons All Purpose Flour
- 1 tablespoon Nutritional Yeast
- 1 tablespoon Creole Seasoning, recipe
- 2 cups No-Beef Broth
- 1 cup Water
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Worcestershire Sauce, I used Annie’s
- 1 tablespoon Louisiana-Style Hot Sauce
- 1 tablespoon Organic Cane Sugar
For the Vegan Beef:
- Preheat oven to 350F
- In a large bowl, stir together the vital wheat gluten, nutritional yeast, onion powder, garlic powder, paprika, thyme, and black pepper.
- In another bowl, whisk together the vegetable broth, olive oil, soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, and tomato paste.
- Pour the wet ingredients in to the dry and knead the dough for a few minutes. It should be slippery but not dry. If it’s too wet, add more vital wheat gluten tbsp by tbsp.
- Roll the seitan dough into a long log. Roughly 5 by 10. Wrap tightly in parchment paper and twist the sides and tuck them under the bottom of the loaf.
- Place the wrapped loaf on a baking tray and bake for 90 minutes. Once done, it should feel firm. Refrigerate overnight.
To Make the Gravy:
- Cut the seitan loaf in half. Put 1 half away and thinly slice the other half. Make these slices as thin as possible and don’t worry about them all being the same length. Set aside.
- Mince the onion. Place in large pan over medium heat with a pinch of salt. Cook onions until brown and caramelized, about 20-25 minutes. Add water as needed to prevent burning.
- Once onions are caramelized, add minced garlic. Cook for another 2 minutes. Then, add the butter. When the butter is melted, add the flour and mix until no raw flour is visible. Next, add nutritional yeast and creole seasoning. Cook for another 1-2 minutes.
- Add the no-beef broth, water, vegan worcestershire sauce, Louisiana hot sauce, and sugar to the pan and whisk until incorporated. Bring to a boil. Boil for 7 minutes.
- After 7 minutes, reduce heat to a simmer and add thinly sliced vegan roast beef. Cook for an additional 7-10 minutes until gravy has thickened.
- Toast bread, if desired. Shred lettuce, slice tomatoes, and pickles.
- Spread a good amount of vegan mayo on the bread and top with vegan roast beef, lettuce, tomato, and pickle slices. Serve & enjoy!Print