This quick pasta dish is the perfect weeknight meal. Hearty rigatoni pasta is tossed with colorful sautéed vegetables and a dairy-free Alfredo sauce that's so easy to make. The creamy sauce in this recipe is made from ripe avocado, which makes up the texture, nutritional yeast for cheesiness, cashews, and coconut milk. If you're making this to serve, don't worry about the avocado turning the sauce brown — a squeeze of lemon juice keeps it presentation-worthy.
Rigatoni With Avocado Alfredo and Vegetables [Vegan]
For the Sauce:
- 1 medium-large avocado
- 3 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tablespoons hemp seeds
- 1 cup almond or coconut milk
- A dash of Himalayan salt
- 1/2 cup cashews
For the Pasta and Vegetables:
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 head broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms, sliced
- 1 pound rigatoni pasta
- 1 garlic clove
- While pasta is cooking, chop the peppers, broccoli, and mushrooms.
- Sauté the vegetables over medium heat with a little coconut oil. Do not overcook, about 5-8 minutes.
- While vegetables are cooking, combine all ingredients for the sauce in a blender. Blend for 30-45 seconds, until smooth.
- Drain pasta and let cool slightly.
- Toss all vegetables and sauce together.