Sweet and slightly tart, this jam is perfect for toast and bagels, tastes great dolloped on pancakes, and can even be swirled into vegan yogurt for a burst of fruity flavor. To make this jam, the rhubarb and banana are boiled and then cooled until they reach the ideal consistency. Yum!
Rhubarb Banana Jam [Vegan]
- 4 cups rhubarb
- 3 cups sugar
- 3 medium bananas
- 1 lemon juice
- Clean and peel rhubarb. Cut into small chunks.
- Place rhubarb in heavy bottom pan or preserve pan. Add sugar and lemon juice and stir the mixture thoroughly. Cover and let set for 4 hours to overnight.
- When you are ready to make the jam, sterilize the jars by plunging them in a large pan of boiling water for 10 minutes. Also put some saucer plates in the freezer.
- Peel and cut rhubarb into medium chunks. Add to rhubarb mixture.
- Heat the fruits on medium to high heat until the mixture reaches boiling point. Carry on boiling jam for 20 minutes stirring occasionally so that the jam does not stick to the bottom of the pan. From then on, check setting point every 5 minutes or so.
- To test if the jam has set, put a teaspoon of jam on one of the cold saucers. Let it cool for a minute. The jam is done if it wrinkles when pushed with your finger.
- Pour jam in sterilized jar. Cover with waxed paper and seal.
Store in a cool and dry place away from the light. Keep in the refrigerator once opened.