Sharp and creamy, this ice cream is a refreshing treat that makes the most of seasonal produce. You've probably tried or at least heard of rhubarb pie before, but it turns out that it's good for more than just baked goods! This ice cream is tangy, creamy, and has a distinct sharpness from fresh rhubarb. Serve it topped with lemon zest and fresh berries.
Rhubarb and Lemon Ice Cream [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 pounds rhubarb
- 1 cup golden caster sugar or regular sugar
- Juice and zest of 1 lemon
- 10.5 ounces silken tofu
- Approximately 1 cup almond milk
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum
- Cut rhubarb into small chunks. Place the rhubarb pieces, lemon juice, and sugar into a heavy-based saucepan. Cook over medium heat, stirring from time to time, until rhubarb is dissolved and mushy.
- Once rhubarb is cooked, stir coconut oil in it until melted.
- Once it has cooled down a little, place the mixture in the blender with drained silken tofu, almond milk, vanilla extract, and xanthan gum. Pulse until smooth.
- Pour mixture into a dish or container suitable for the freezer. Stir it the lemon zest. Chill for at least 12 hours.
- Take out of the freezer 20-30 minutes before you are ready to serve.