We know what you’re thinking; there’s no way a red velvet cheesecake brownie could be good for you. But these actually (kinda) are! Made from chickpeas and colored naturally with beets, these brownies are gluten-free and full of protein. You won't be able to eat just one!
Red Velvet Cheesecake Brownies [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Cooking spray
- 2 15-ounce cans chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup cashew butter
- 1 cup, plus 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup or agave nectar
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons white vinegar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 cup beet powder or 2 tablespoons natural red food dye
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 2/3 cup chopped macadamia nuts (optional)
- 1 8-ounce container vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup soaked cashews
- Soak the cashews for 2 hours or overnight, or boil for 10 minutes to soften, then drain. Preheat oven to 350°F and spray a 9x13-inch pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a food processor, add all red velvet ingredients except for the macadamia nuts and process until batter is smooth.
- Stir in the nuts and pour the batter into the prepared baking pan, saving 1/4 cup of the batter for the top.
- Rinse your food processor, then add the cream cheese, sugar, and cashews to it. Process until smooth. Gently spread the cream cheese layer on top of the red velvet batter in the pan. Dollop the remaining brownie
- Add 2 tablespoons maple syrup to the reserved red velvet batter to thin it out, then dollop the remaining batter over the cream cheese layer. Using a skewer or the tip of a knife, drag the tip through the cream cheese mixture to create a swirl pattern. Bake the brownies for 30 minutes. Remove to a cooling rack and allow them to cool completely before cutting.