This vegan queso dip is quick to make and tastes so similar to the traditional dairy version. Served alongside these baked tortilla chips that are gluten free, corn-free and vegan. Perfect party food! Pro tip: serve this dip immediately, when it's still warm - that's when it's outrageous. Leftovers are still good out of the fridge, but warm is really the way to go.
Red Pepper Cashew Queso Dip with Baked Tortilla Chips [Vegan]
- 2 large brown rice tortillas
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil or melted coconut oil
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1 teaspoon coconut or avocado oil
- 1/4 cup red pepper, chopped small
- 1/4 cup red onion, chopped small
- 1/4 teaspoon pink salt or sea salt, plus extra to taste
- 1 tablespoon sun dried tomatoes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/8 teaspoon hot chile powder
- 1 small clove garlic, chopped
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Use a sharp knife to cut the tortillas into 4-5 equal-sized strips, then cut each strip into triangles.
- Place the chips on a baking sheet and toss with the oil and salt, to taste. Bake for 10 minutes.
- Remove any chips that are browned, then return the rest to the oven for another 2-3 minutes.
- Serve immediately with the queso.
- Soak the cashews for up to 6 hours to soften. If you're pressed for time, just briefly soak the cashews in hot water (even 10 minutes) so that they'll blend more easily. Place the sun dried tomatoes in a small bowl of hot water to soften up.
- Combine 1 teaspoon coconut oil with the red onion and red pepper over medium heat. Season with 1/4 tsp salt and sauté until softened - about 5 minutes.
- Drain the cashews and the sun dried tomatoes, then add to a high speed blender along with the spices, garlic, lemon juice, hot water and additional 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Blend until completely smooth, stopping and scrapping down the sides of the blender with a spatula as needed. Serve immediately while warm. Refrigerate any leftovers in a covered container.