Start Your Fall morning off right with these delicious seasonal waffles – and look for the gluten-free option below!
Sweet Potato Waffles [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Sweet Potato Waffles [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 cup whole wheat or whole spelt flour*
- 1 1/2 cup unbleached white flour*
- 1/3 cup Sucanat sugar (unrefined cane sugar)
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 2 cups soymilk
- 1 3/4 cup cooked, mashed sweet potato
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
How to Prepare Sweet Potato Waffles [Vegan]
- Begin by preheating your waffle iron. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 300F. You can keep cooked waffles warm by placing them on a greased cookie sheet or on an oven proof plate, covered with foil until ready to serve.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and ginger.
- In another mixing bowl combine soy milk, mashed sweet potato, oil, and vanilla. Whisk together until smooth and combined.
- Add the sweet potato mixture to the flour and stir until combined and no lumps remain.
- Lightly oil the waffle iron and pour in the batter. Cook according to waffle iron directions until done.
- Serve with Earth Balance and pure maple syrup.
*For Gluten Free Waffles: Replace the wheat or spelt flour with 2 1/2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill All Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Mix and 1 teaspoon xanthan gum! Continue through the recipe exactly as written and they work out fine.
Per Serving: Calories: 2,799 | Carbs: 430 g | Fat: 98 g | Protein: 54 g | Sodium: 600 mg | Sugar: 88 gNote: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.