This loaf was the very first thing that I made when I became vegetarian and it's been a staple in my home ever since. It's always been a crowd pleaser and a simple main dish for anyone to prepare. It has minimal hands-on prep time, but you can even cook the lentils ahead of time to make assembly faster. If using regular rolled oats, I recommend pulsing them for a few seconds in a food processor to make them a little smaller and easier to incorporate into the loaf. You can also mash some of the cooked lentils in the food processor along with the oats to help the loaf bind together better. Cheers!
Lentil Loaf [Vegan]
4 - 6
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup green lentils
- 2 tablespoons ground flaxseeds and 4 tablespoons water
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 cup instant or regular rolled oats
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons ketchup
- Bring water to a boil. Add lentils and simmer 25 - 30 minutes, until lentils are soft and water is evaporated. Drain any excess water and partially mash lentils. Scrape into mixing bowl and allow to cool slightly.
- Mix the flaxseeds and water together and let sit for about 15 minutes. (This will allow it to become sticky and will be a better binder for the loaf.)
- Saute the onion in the oil in a pan over medium heat. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onion is translucent.
- Stir the onion and oats into the lentils until mixed. Add the flax mixture, tomato sauce, garlic, basil, parsley, salt, and pepper. Mix well.
- Spoon into loaf pan that has been generously sprayed with non-stick spray. Smooth the top with the back of a spoon. Top with the BBQ sauce and ketchup.
- Bake at 350 degrees for about 45 minutes until the top of the loaf is dry, firm, and golden brown. Let cool in pan for about 10 minutes. Run a sharp knife around the edges of pan then turn out onto a serving platter. Top with additional BBQ sauce or ketchup if needed.