I fell in love with potato-based treats during a vacation to the Canadian Maritimes last summer. A tourist brochure in our little beach house contained a recipe for a beautiful potato cake, which I eagerly transformed into a vegan-friendly dessert using Russet Potatoes from a local produce stand. While last year’s recipe focused on the addition of raspberry preserves, this recipe for One Green Planet is even more decadent with the help of a rich, chocolate ganache.
Chocolate Potato Cake [Vegan]
- 1 cup of mashed potatoes, no seasoning (use a baking potato, like russet)
- 1 cup lukewarm water
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3/4 cup vegan butter substitute, softened
- 2 cups vegan refined sugar
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon distilled white vinegar
- 1/2 cup vegan semisweet chocolate chips (optional)
- 1/2 cup unsweetened soy milk
- 1 1/2 cups vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon vegan butter substitute
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit and grease two 8” round or three 6" round cake pans.
- Stir together the mashed potatoes and water in a small bowl.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the flour, cocoa, baking powder, coffee granules, baking soda and salt.
- In a third bowl, mix the refined sugar and 3/4 cup of vegan butter substitute on low speed for 30 seconds.
- Add in the vanilla and the applesauce and continue to mix until just combined.
- Increase the speed of your mixer to medium/high and slowly add in the dry ingredients and the potato water, alternating between the two until all ingredients are well combined.
- Use a spoon to stir in the vinegar
- Pour the batter into the two cake pans. The batter will be thick, so use a spoon to spread it out evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes, until a toothpick can be inserted and removed cleanly.
- While the cake cools, make the ganache by pouring the soy milk in a small sauce pan.
- Bring the soy milk to a boil then remove from heat immediately.
- Stir in the vegan butter substitute.
- Add the chocolate chips to the sauce pan and stir until they are fully melted.
- Let the ganache cool in the sauce pan. It will thicken as it cools.
- Once the cake and ganache have cooled, spread ganache between each layer of cake and pour the rest over the top.
- Top with chocolate chips.