Chestnuts are a popular and delicious winter treat and are high in vitamin C, calcium and magnesium. In this recipe, chestnuts transform a traditional vegetable blend into a thick and creamy soup that will add a festive touch to any holiday menu. This Chestnut Soup can be made and stored a couple of days ahead of time, and it's also delicious when served as leftovers with a side of crusty bread.
Chestnut Soup [Vegan]
3 - 4
Ingredients You Need for Chestnut Soup [Vegan]
- 1 1/2 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1/4 cup diced celery
- 1/4 cup diced carrots
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 sprig of parsley
- 1 whole clove
- 1/2 California bay leaf
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 1/2 cups of cooked and peeled whole chestnuts, crumbled
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened soy creamer
- sprinkle of fresh ground black pepper
How to Prepare Chestnut Soup [Vegan]
- Butter one side of a piece of parchment or wax paper, cut to fit into a heavy saucepan.
- Melt the vegan butter substitute in the saucepan over low heat.
- Stir in the celery, carrots and onion.
- Place the piece of wax/parchment paper on top of the vegetables, buttered side down.
- Keep the heat set to low and cover the pan with a lid.
- Allow the vegetables to sweat for 15 minutes.
- Wrap the parsley, clove and bay leaf in a cheesecloth and tie in a bundle with kitchen string.
- Uncover the vegetables and remove and discard of the piece of wax/parchment paper.
- Add the vegetable broth and herb bouquet to the saucepan.
- Bring the broth to a boil, then reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes.
- Add in the chestnuts and wine, and continue to simmer for 3 more minutes.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat.
- Puree the soup in small batches in a blender, returning each batch to the saucepan once blended.
- Stir in the soy creamer, pepper and salt.
- Reheat the soup, stirring occasionally.
- Serve immediately, or allow soup to cool and store in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.