Need a fun way to use your dehydrator? Try these raw sweet potato flatbreads! Free from grains of any kind, these tasty flatbreads are made from a combination of sweet potato, zucchini, flax meal, and a blend of seeds. Top these with raw tomato sauce, pickled red onion, avocado, and nutritional yeast for the perfect raw pizza.
Raw Sweet Potato Flatbread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Sweet Potato Flatbread:
- 2 sweet potatoes
- 1 cup zucchini
- 1 cup flax seeds, ground
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 shallot
- 1/2 cup sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
For the Raw Tomato Sauce:
- 1 1/3 cups seeded and chopped tomatoes
- 1 1/3 cups sun-dried tomatoes, soaked at least 15 minutes and drained (reserve liquid)
- 1/3 cup soaking liquid from sun-dried tomatoes
- 1/3 teaspoon salt
- A pinch of black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon dried herbs
For the Pickled Red Onion:
- 1/2 red onion
- 4 tablespoons brown rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 tablespoon agave nectar
For the Topping:
- Hemp seeds
- Green olives
- Arugula or spinach
To Make the Pickled Red Onion:
- The pickled onion needs to be prepared 2-3 days before serving, but will keep well in a refrigerator for weeks or even months. Pickling should be done in a glass jar (like a mason jar). Be sure to thoroughly sanitize the jar before pickling.
- Chop the onion in fine shreds. Combine all ingredients in a mason jar and shake well. Store at room temperature for 2-3 days to allow fermentation.
To Make the Sweet Potato Flatbread:
- Cut the sweet potato into smaller pieces, blend all ingredients in a high-speed blender. blend until smooth and spread out the mix on a nonstick dehydrator sheet.
- Use a spatula to form round, thin flatbreads. Dehydrate for about 14-16 hours on 110°F. You'll be able to turn the upside down and dehydrate without the non-stick sheet after about 2-3 hours.
To Make the Raw Tomato Sauce:
- Prepare the raw tomato sauce by blending all ingredients in a high-speed blender.
- When the flatbreads are ready, spread a thin layer of tomato sauce on top and serve with any toppings that you like.