It's a pie, it's a cheesecake – it's both! This silky-smooth strawberry rhubarb confection is somewhere in between a pie and a cheesecake. The nutty, crumbly crust is held together by a sweet, sticky date paste and then topped with a luxurious cashew, strawberry, and rhubarb cream and chilled until it's firm. This is a wonderful way to finish off a warm summer night.
Raw Strawberry Rhubarb Cream Pie [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust:
- 1 cup of pecans
- 1 cup of almonds
- 1 1/2 cups of dates, pitted
- A splash of water
For the Topping:
- 1 1/2 cups of cashews
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen strawberries
- 1 cup of fresh or frozen rhubarb
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1/4 cup of maple syrup (less if your rhubarb is less tart)
- A splash of almond milk
To Make the Crust:
- Start by soaking your cashews for 4-8 hours.
- Lightly grease a 6-inch spring form pan with coconut oil or line a pie plate with parchment paper.
- Add the almonds and pecans into your food processor and process them until they break down into crumbs.
- Then add your dates and process them into the nuts. Add a splash of water only if the mixture is dry. It should stick together easily, but shouldn’t be wet.
- Transfer the crust mixture to your prepared pan/plate and press it in firmly. It is quite a bit of crust, so you should have enough to press into the sides.
To Make the Topping:
- Drain your cashews and add them to your blender with all of the other ingredients and slowly and carefully blend the mixture until it’s smooth and creamy.
- Add a bit of almond milk to help the process along, ensuring you keep it thick, but smooth – you don’t want it watery.
- Pour the filling into the crust and cover it with plastic wrap or foil and allow it to set for at least 8 hours.
- Remove it from freezer about 15-20 minutes before serving it.