This homemade raw vegan sauerkraut recipe is not only delicious and perfect for adding to any of your savory dishes, but it is also incredibly healthy. It contains naturally-produced good bacteria. They are critical for our gut health, which helps our mood, immune system, digestion, and so much more. Another great benefit of homemade raw vegan sauerkraut is that during the fermentation process, the small amount of salt used in the kraut will intensify in flavor.
Homemade Raw Sauerkraut [Vegan]
- 1/4 of a green cabbage
- 1 large carrot or 2 small ones
- About 1 tablespoon of good quality sea salt
- Chop the cabbage into thin little strips (you can also use your food processor for this).
- Grate the carrot on a large grater setting.
- Put everything in a bowl – but use a porcelain bowl.
- Put some salt (unrefined, of course) on your fingers, and mix the carrot and cabbage very gently.
- Continue this process until you've mixed the whole thing, adding salt each time you toss.
- Make a fist, and press down the mixture (again, very gently), into your bowl. Then, with your middle finger, make little holes in the mixture to allow the bitterness of the fermenting cabbage to come out.
- Warm some water on the stove DO NOT bring it to a boil. Mix cold and warm water in a porcelain cup – what you're looking for is water that is barely warmer than room temperature.
- Pour the water on your Sauerkraut mixture. Pour enough to cover, and a tiny bit more – but not more than that.
- Cover with lid and allow to ferment for about 8-10 hours.
- After 8-10 hours, use the side of a spoon to gently make little cavities in the mixture, again, to allow the bitterness to slip out. Do this as often as possible – about 4-5 times daily.
- After 1 day, taste your Sauerkraut and decide if it's ready. If not, allow it to ferment a bit more.
- When ready, put the entire thing (including the yummy liquid!) into a glass jar and store in the fridge.
- It will store for quite a while - up to a month; however, do not consume if it starts to turn black or gets any mold at all.
It stores for about a week!