This carrot cake is spicy, flavorful, and downright amazing. A spiced carrot layer is studded with raisins, sweetened with dates, and then topped with a creamy cashew icing. It's hard to believe this dessert is raw!
Raw Pecan Carrot Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Carrot Cake:
- 4 medium carrots
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1/2 cup raisins
For the Cashew Icing:
- 1 1/4 cups cashews, soaked overnight
- 1/2 cup freshly-squeezed orange juice
- 2 Medjool dates, pitted
For the Topping:
- 1/4 cup pecans, chopped
To Make the Carrot Cake:
- Blend the carrots in a high-speed blender until well chopped.
- Add the nutmeg, cinnamon, pecans, and raisins, and blend until smooth.
- Scoop into a freezer-safe dish and freeze while you prepared the icing.
To Make the Cashew Icing:
- Blend the cashews, orange juice, and dates until smooth and creamy.
- Smooth the icing over the top of the carrot cake.
- Add the remaining chopped pecans on top of the icing, pressing them down gently.
- Return to the freezer for at least 3 hours.
- Keep frozen, and defrost for 10 minutes before serving.