What's a better pairing than cherry and chocolate ... cherry and chocolate with nuts. YUM! This tart is quick, simple, and easy to make and only consists of ten natural ingredients! This is a very rich and luxurious dessert, thanks to coconut butter in the filling, which adds extra creaminess. Whether it's for a special occasion or just because, this chocolate cherry tart is sure to satisfy.
Raw Cherry Chocolate Tart [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Base:
- 1 cup whole hazelnuts
- 1 cup of walnuts
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon of cacao powder
- 2 cups dates, pitted and diced
- A pinch of salt (optional)
For the Filling:
- 1 cup cacao powder
- 1 1/4 cups coconut butter (see notes)
- 1/2 cup dried cherries (roughly chopped)
- 1 cup of maple syrup
- 1 cup unsweetened soy milk
To Make the Base:
- Line a 7 or 8-inch pie tin with greaseproof paper and place aside.
- Place the hazelnuts, walnuts, vanilla extract, cacao powder, dates, and salt (optional) into a food processor/blender, and whizz up until crumb-like. Firmly press the mixture into the lined tin and pop it into the freezer.
To Make the Filling:
- Place the coconut butter, cacao powder, maple syrup, soy milk, and dried cherries into a food processor and whizz up until smooth.
- Pour the filling on top of the base and drizzle with dark chocolate (optional) and place back into the freezer to fully set.
- Freeze for 2-4 hours then slice and serve. Serve with fresh, juicy cherries, a sprinkling of coconut, and chopped hazelnuts.
- Store in the freezer. When you would like a slice, leave to stand for 10 minutes before consuming.
If you don't have coconut butter, you can make your own from 1 1/4 cups unsweetened desiccated coconut. Place the desiccated coconut into a food processor/blender and whizz up until thick and creamy. This will take around 10-15 minutes on high.