Two layers: major deliciousness. This raw vegan ice cream cake has a lemony grain-free base made from nuts and dates followed by two fruity, creamy "ice cream" layers made from cashews. With a sweet nutty crust and a burst lemon and blueberry flavor, this cake makes the perfect treat to enjoy this spring as the weather gets warmer and days become longer.
Raw Blueberry Lemon Ice Cream Cake [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
1 5-inch cake, 6 slices
For the Crust:
- 1/2 cup walnuts (or use any other nuts/seeds you prefer)
- 3 dates, pitted
- 1 teaspoon coconut oil
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- Pinch of sea salt
For the Filling:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked for a minimum of 2 hours (see notes)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 lemon, juiced (about 4-5 tablespoons)
- Zest from 1/2 lemon
- 1/8 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/3 cup blueberries, plus 1/4 cup for topping
- Rinse and drain the cashews. Add them to the food processor or high-speed blender with the rest of filling ingredients, except for blueberries and process until smooth.
- Pour half the mixture in a small bowl and set aside. Add blueberries to the remaining mixture in the food processor and process until smooth. Add a splash of water if necessary.
- Pour the blueberry layer over the crust and return to the freezer to harden for 1-2 hours. Then take out the pan and add the lemon layer on top and put back in the freezer to set.
- Remove after 2 hours and decorate with blueberries. Store leftovers in the freezer and let it thaw for 10-15 minutes before serving
If you forget to soak the cashews, bring water to a boil. Cover cashews with hot water and let them sit for 10-15 minutes to soften as you prepare the crust.