This recipe uses blended quinoa to create a mock cream based soup (yet another reason to love quinoa!)
Quinoa Corn Chowder [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup white onion, chopped
- 1 cup leek, sliced (white part only)
- 1 carrot, diced
- 1/2 cup quinoa (uncooked)
- 3 cups frozen corn (preferably organic)
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon saffron
- 1 cup red pepper, diced
- Parsley for garnish (optional)
- In a large saucepan, add olive oil, onions and leeks and sauté over medium heat until translucent. Add carrots and sauté an additional 2 minutes.
- Add broth, uncooked quinoa, 2 cups of the corn, bay leaf, ground black pepper, sea salt, cayenne pepper and saffron. Bring to a boil, reduce heat and cover. Simmer for 15 minutes or until quinoa is cooked.
- Remove from heat, discard bay leaf and either use a hand-held immersion blender or blender/food processor to puree soup (add more broth if soup is too thick),
- Return soup to saucepan over low heat. Add remaining cup of corn and diced red pepper and cook until heated through. Season with additional salt and pepper if needed.
- Serve warm and enjoy!