Finally, a perfectly creamy, tangy, and crumbly vegan queso fresco! Imagine a dairy-free cheese recipe that not only tastes amazing, but is super easy to make. We're pushing all the vegan cheese-making boundaries today.
Queso Fresco [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup blanched almonds, soaked
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked
- 2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 3 tablespoons refined coconut oil
- 1/2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons agar powder
- 1/3 and 1/4 cup water
- To begin, soak the almonds and cashews in room temperature water for about 12 hours, or overnight. After they've soaked, drain the nuts and place them in a high-speed blender or food processor with the vinegar, coconut oil, nutritional yeast, onion powder, salt, and water.
- Blend for approximately 2-10* minutes, or until the mixture is smooth (stop to scrape down the sides a few times). Lastly, add in the agar powder and blend until combined.
- Set the blender aside while you heat a small saucepan over medium heat for a 1-2 minutes. Then, transfer the cheese mixture into the saucepan and bring it to a low boil while stirring constantly.
- Once the mixture is lightly boiling, turn the heat down to simmer and continue stirring constantly for about 3-5 minutes, or until it thickens.
- Note: the cheese should start to set soon after you remove it from heat. If it does not, simply add it back to your saucepan and simmer for a few minutes longer.
- Working fairly quickly, transfer the cheese mixture to a parchment paper or cheesecloth-lined bowl or mould**. Cover and let the cheese chill in your fridge for at least 6 hours, but preferably overnight.
- Serve this vegan queso fresco on top of sopes, black bean soup, tacos, and more!