These scones are made completely with whole, good for you ingredients. They’re super simple, easy, healthy and most importantly… delicious. They are so moist and buttery, you’d never guess they didn’t have an ounce of butter in them. Get your apron on and treat yourself to these home baked goodies!
Pumpkin Scones [Vegan]
- 2 cups spelt, gluten free or whole wheat pastry flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 1/2 teaspoon pumpkin spice (alternatively 1 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg, 1/4 teaspoon cloves, pinch of ginger)
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons xylitol, coconut palm sugar or cane sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground flax + 2 tablespoon water
- 1/4 cup unsweetened almond milk
- almond milk and sugar to top – optional
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Mix together flax and water and set to the side for 10-15 minutes.
- Mix dry ingredients (flour, spice and baking powder)
- Add flax egg to almond milk. Stir in sugar, warm melted coconut oil and vanilla extract.
- Begin stirring with spoon and then begin to knead into a soft ball of dough with your hands (should not be sticky). Place ball of dough on a slightly floured surface, press down and slice into 6 triangles. Place onto a slightly greased or parchment lined baking tray.
- Brush scones with almond milk and sprinkle with a little sugar (optional). Bake for 12-15 minutes, until slightly browned and firm to the touch.
- While baking, stir together glaze ingredients. Once completely cool, brush tops with glaze, or alternatively, place glaze into a zip lock bag, snip the corner, and use to drizzle neatly over top.