Gluten-free, but still craving the fried crunchy goodness of fried foods? These pumpkin sage croquettes have got you covered! The pumpkin brings a gentle sweetness that is balanced out by fresh sage and rosemary and you get a nice contrast between the crisp outer coating and tender pumpkin filling. If you are looking to cut back on oil, you also have the option of baking these instead of frying.
Pumpkin Sage Croquettes [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 10.6 ounces pumpkin
- 1-2 boiled potatoes
- Sage leaves
- Rosemary, pepper, salt
- Tamari (optional)
- Gluten-free bread crumbs or cornmeal, as needed
- 2-3 tablespoons chickpea flour
- Oil, for frying
- Preheat oven to 335°F. Cube the pumpkin, spread it out on a baking sheet with rosemary, pepper, salt, sage, and olive oil and bake until tender.
- Blend the roasted pumpkin with salt, tamari (if using), and fresh sage. When the mixture is smooth, combine it with one or two potatoes by mashing well with a fork. Let the mixture stand for 1-2 hours.
- In a small bowl, combine chickpea flour with a little bit of water to form a thin batter. In a second dish, add bread crumbs or cornmeal.
- Roll the mixture into balls. Dip each ball in the chickpea flour batter, followed by the bread crumb mixture.
- Prepare a deep wok or skillet with enough oil for frying (at least a couple of inches). Once the oil is hot, fry each croquette until golden brown.
- Alternatively, you can bake the croquettes in the oven. Preheat the oven to 375°F, brush them with oil, and bake on a baking sheet until golden brown.