Is there anything better than a big bowl of soup in the winter time? If you're tired of the usual suspects, this pumpkin fennel soup is just the ticket! Fennel brings a slight taste of licorice to this warming soup, giving it a taste that's truly unique.
Pumpkin Fennel Soup [Vegan]
- 1 onion
- 2 cups kent pumpkin
- 1 medium-sized fennel bulb
- 2 cups water
- 1 1/4 cup tomato puree/passata
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Peel and dice the onion.
- Peel, deseed and dice the pumpkin into small cubes.
- Finely chop the fennel (including the stalks), reserving some of the fronds for garnish.
- Add the vegetables to a large saucepan and heat over a medium heat for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the water and tomato, bring to the boil, the cover and simmer for around 20 minutes, or until the pumpkin is soft.
- Remove from the heat, add pepper to taste, and blend if desired.
- Serve garnished with a fennel frond.