You’ll need 6 basic ingredients: flour, salt, yeast, water, baking soda, and sugar. That is all!
Pretzel Buns [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pretzel Buns [Vegan]
- 1 teaspoon active dry yeast
- 1/2 cup lukewarm water (to activate the yeast)
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour, divided (or white spelt flour) - plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 4 cups water
- 3 Tbsp baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon coarse sea salt
How to Prepare Pretzel Buns [Vegan]
- Place the yeast together with the lukewarm water into a small bowl (the water should be warm but not hot). Add the sugar and briefly stir everything together, then put aside and let rest for 5 minutes until the yeast has activated.
- In a separate large non-metal bowl, add 1 cup flour and salt and combine. Pour in the yeast mixture and mix thoroughly. The dough will be very sticky. Place the remaining 0.5 cup flour on a working surface, place the dough on top and knead for 5-8 minutes until you have a moist, but not sticky dough.
- Clean your large bowl and slightly grease with oil. Return the dough to the bowl and turn it around a few times so that it becomes coated with a thin layer of oil. Cover with a towel and let rest for 1 hour until the dough has doubled.
- Punch the dough down and take out of the bowl. Knead with a little bit more flour if too sticky, the cut into 6 equal pieces. Roll each piece into a ball and place on a lined baking sheet with enough distance apart. Let rise another 30 minutes, then cut a cross on top of each ball.
- Preheat your oven to 400ºF and place a small/medium pot over high heat with the 4 cups water. Add in the baking soda and bring to a boil, then reduce to medium heat and let simmer. Add each dough ball into the pot and allow to cook for 1 minute, flipping over halfway through, then remove from the water using a slotted spoon or spatula and place back on the baking tray. Repeat until all of the dough balls have been cooked. Make sure the cross is still there, or renew it and place the tray in the oven for 8-10 minutes until golden brown, watching closely so it won't burn.
- Best served immediately with your favorite spread or store in a bread bag for up to 3 days.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.