Finding a way to make the perfect vegan mac and cheese can be a long journey of trial and error. That being said, this cashew cheese macaroni is absolutely delicious! Cashews, potatoes, and zucchini create a perfectly creamy and nutritious sauce that tastes just like the traditional kind. Enjoy this dish as is, or feel free to add breadcrumbs or broccoli!
Potato and Zucchini Mac and Cheese [Vegan]
- Cooked elbow pasta (add salt to pasta water)
For the Sauce:
- 1 1/2 cups gold potatoes, baked and peeled
- 1 loosely packed cup zucchini, peeled
- 1 1/2 cup unsweetened cashew milk
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons chickpea miso paste
- 1/2 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon onion
- A dash of nutmeg
- A dash of chili powder
- Pepper, to taste
- In the oven, bake your gold potatoes, until soft, about 90 minutes.
- While baking, prep your blender with the peeled zucchini and the rest of the ingredients and spices for the sauce.
- Once the potatoes are done baking, add the warm potatoes to your blender, blend until completely creamy, no clumps.
To prepare your pasta:
- Make pasta according to the directions, make sure you salt your pasta water.
- Once pasta is cooked, strain, but leave about 2 tablespoons-1/4 cup of pasta water in case you want to make your sauce thinner later.
- Add enough sauce from the blender to coat the pasta, save the rest of the sauce for later.
- Cheesy Recipes
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
Where is the ingredient list?
Looks yummy but there’s no ingredient list