Right in the heart of winter, we are still very well living in soup season. This potato and kale instant pot soup is perfect to warm you up with flavor and nutrients!
Potato and Kale Instant Pot Soup [Vegan]
- 1/3 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 medium sized onions, chopped
- 1 large leek thinly sliced, whites and pale greens only
- 4 cloves (about 1 tablespoon minced garlic)
- 1 1/2 tablespoons minced ginger
- 3 to 4 medium, cubed potatoes (you can leave the skin on) (any potato works)
- 4 cups of chopped kale, spinach or mustard greens
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- 4 cups of stock or water
- 1/2 cup coconut milk
- Red pepper flakes to finish (optional)
- Turn the instant pot onto saute mode, Add in the oil and add in the onions and leeks. Cook for about 15 minutes stirring occasionally until the onions and leek soften and begin to turn golden. You can continue cooking for another 5 to 10 minutes if you have the time.
- Add in the garlic and the ginger and cook for 1 or 2 minutes.
- Add in the potatoes, salt, black peppercorns and stock or water and the greens.
- Set to 3 minutes of pressure and release the steam after 5 minutes.
- Stir in the cream or coconut milk and stir well.
- With an immersion blender puree the soup until smooth.
- Place in serving bowls and garnish with the red pepper flakes and serve.
This recipe uses a pressure cooker.