These gyros with raw tzatziki allow you to enjoy the delicious flavors of Greek cuisine, no meat or dairy required. Meaty Portobello mushrooms are tossed in Worcestershire sauce, rolled in a warm pita, and then topped with a creamy tzatziki made from hemp! Talk about a savory, umami explosion.
Portobello Gyros With Hemp Tzatziki [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Portobello Gyros With Hemp Tzatziki [Vegan]
For the Gyros:
- 2 Portobello caps, sliced
- 2 tablespoons vegan Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- 1/2 cup hemp tzatziki (recipe below)
- Pita bread
For the Hemp Tzatziki:
- 1 cup hemp seeds
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 2 heaping tablespoons tahini
- 2-3 Persian cucumbers or 1 large
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh dill
- 4 tablespoons water
How to Prepare Portobello Gyros With Hemp Tzatziki [Vegan]
To Make the Gyros:
- In a small bowl, whisk together the Worcestershire, cumin, and maple syrup. Pour the marinade over the Portobello slices and stir until evenly combined. Set aside for 15 minutes and prepare the hemp tzatziki.
- Heat a skillet on medium. With a bit of water or cooking oil, sauté the mushrooms for 4-5 minutes. Stir often to prevent sticking. Remove from heat and let cool for 2-3 minutes.
- Warm 2 pitas in a skillet, roughly ten seconds on each side. Divide the portobello gyros between the two pitas and top each one with 1/4 of the vegan tzatziki.
To Make the Hemp Tzatziki:
- Chop the cucumbers into small pieces. In a blender or food processor, combine the hemp seeds, tahini, minced garlic, lemon juice, and water. Blend or process until smooth and creamy. If it’s too thick, add water 1 tablespoon at a time until you reach your desired consistency.
- Transfer to a medium bowl. Stir in the herbs and chopped cucumber. Serve immediately or keep refrigerated in an airtight container for 2-3 days.
The portobello gyros will keep in an airtight container in the refrigerator for 3-4 days.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.