This is a beautiful winter grain salad that is inspired by the flavors of Morocco. Eggplant, pomegranate, and crunchy nuts make this a dish you won't be likely to forget!
Pomegranate and Hazelnut Moroccan Grain Salad [Vegan]
- 1 large or 2 medium eggplants
- 1 medium onion
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 cup equal parts quinoa and millet (or all of either one)
- 2 cups water
- 3/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- A handful of mint leaves
- A handful of parsley
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 pomegranate, deseeded
- 1/2 cup toasted and coarsely chopped hazelnuts
- Preheat the oven to 400°F. Chop the eggplants and onion into small pieces. Place them on a large baking pan and drizzle with a small dose of oil. Sprinkle with salt and roast in the oven until soft and slightly burned around the edges, about 15 minutes. Remove the vegetables from the oven and place in a large serving bowl. Add the olive oil and garlic and set aside.
- Meanwhile, cook the quinoa and millet. Place the grains in a small saucepan and add the measured water, cinnamon, and 1/2 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat immediately, and cover. Cook for 15-20 minutes until the water is absorbed.
- To assemble the salad, place the cooked grains in the bowl with the roasted vegetables. Add the lemon juice, herbs, raisins, pomegranate seeds, and chopped hazelnuts. Give everything a good stir to evenly mix. Serve at room temperature or warm slightly.