This flavor packed burger is loaded with as many nutrients as it is color! Don’t let that pink color fool you either, these patties are jacked with protein and fiber from quinoa, chickpeas, beets and oat flour. There’s also the option to add mushrooms for a little extra boost and savory flavor but totally not required!
Pineapple Beet Burger [Vegan]
- 1 cup cooked quinoa
- 1 cup onion chopped
- 12 ounces sliced white or baby bella mushrooms (optional)
- 15-ounce can of chickpeas drained and rinsed
- 2 large beets (about half a cup, chopped)
- 1/2 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/4 cup oat flour (all purpose or gluten-free works too)
- Avocado oil
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 1-2 tablespoons sriracha depending on how spicy you like it
- Pinch of black pepper
- Burger Buns
- Pineapple raw or grilled
- Vegan mayo
- Red onion
Prepare spicy ketchup by stirring together all ingredients in a small bowl. Cover and put in the refrigerator for later.
Begin making the burgers by heating 1 teaspoon avocado oil in a large pan over medium heat. Add onions and mushrooms (if using) and sauté until onions are browned and slightly caramelized and mushrooms have released most of their water and shrunk in size. About 5-8 minutes.
Next combine quinoa, chickpeas, cooked onions & mushrooms, beets, spices and flour in a food processor and process until well combined.
Form the burger mixture into 6 equal sized patties.
In the same pan you used to cook the onions and mushrooms, heat about 1 tablespoon avocado oil over medium heat. Pan fry burgers for about 3-5 minutes on each side until crispy and browned.
Prepare burgers by spreading buns with mayo and then layering with the beet burger, lettuce, pineapple, veggies and spicy ketchup. Enjoy!