Beautiful, seasonal, and sweet, this galette is amazing in all sorts of ways! It's filled with a decadent basil cream and topped with bright slices of persimmon. And despite how fancy it looks, it's super easy to make!
Persimmon and Basil Cream Galette [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
- 3 teaspoons coconut sugar or sugar of choice
- 2/3 cups coconut oil, cold and solid
- 2/3 cups ice cold water
- A pinch of salt
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons almond milk
For the Cream:
- 4 tablespoons coconut cream, the solid cream from a can of full-fat coconut milk
- 3 tablespoons vegan cream cheese, or more coconut cream
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon coconut sugar
- Zest from 1 large orange
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
For the Galette Filling:
- Fuyufuyu persimmons, cut in half and thinly sliced on mandoline
- Zest from 1/2 of 1 orange
- Zest from 1/2 of 1 lemon
- 1 tablespoon orange juice
- 3 tablespoons coconut sugar
- A pinch of salt
- Fresh basil
- Heat the oven to 400°F. Line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Combine flour, coconut sugar, salt, coconut oil, and ice water in a food processor, pulse for about 10-15 seconds, until just barely combined.
- Pour onto plastic wrap and cover to form into a disc. Massage it together until it is combined into a dough and then refrigerate while you prep the filling, about 15-20 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine the sugar, orange, and lemon zests. Rub the sugar and zest together with your hands to release the citrus oil into the sugar. Add a pinch of salt and the orange juice and mix well. Set aside.
- Cut the stems off the fuyu persimmons. Slice them in half, and cut into thin slices, about 3/8-inch thick. Remove any seeds, if needed. Place the persimmon slices in the sugar mixture and toss to coat well.
- Prepare the galette cream filling by placing the coconut cream, cream cheese, basil, sugar, and orange zest in the bowl of the food processor and process until well combined.
- Remove dough from refrigerator and roll it out into a circular shape, about 10-12" wide
- Spread a thin layer of the cream mixture in the middle of the dough, leaving a 1 1/2-inch border all the way around. Arrange the persimmon slices on top of the creme.
- Fold up the edges around the fruit, pressing on the pleats together. Place the galette on the lined baking sheet.
- Brush the edges of the dough with a pasty wash made from 1 tablespoon maple syrup plus 2 tablespoons almond milk.
- Bake for 30-35 minutes. Remove, let cool completely, garnish with basil, and serve.