This elegant frittata is packed full of healthy vegetable, a nuanced blend of herbs and spices, and some walnuts sprinkled throughout to give it a bit of texture. It's the perfect brunch treat and it serves a crowd so you'll have leftovers.
Persian Herb Frittata [Vegan]
- 1 cup parsley
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 cup dill
- 1 cup scallions (or green onions)
- 1/4 cup romaine lettuce
- 1 small or 1/2 medium onion
- 4 vegan eggs (4 teaspoons ground flax seeds plus 16 teaspoons warm water)
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon unrefined sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons flour (optional)
- 1/3 cup walnuts, chopped (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried barberries (optional)
- 2-3 tablespoons coconut or avocado oil, for cooking
- Add all the herbs and onion to the food processor and process them until they're finely chopped.
- Mix the eggs and spices and process the mixture some more until everything is properly combined.
- Whisk in the flax eggs with the spices, then stir it into the herb mixture. The batter should be green and thick.
- Add a bit of flour to thicken it up if it’s runny
- Pour in the chopped walnuts and barberries and stir the mixture to evenly distribute everything.
- Add the cooking oil to a pan over medium heat.
- Once the oil is heated, pour in the batter and cover it for about 10 minutes or until the sides are set.
- Flip the frittata, and let it cook on the other side.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low after a minute on the other side, cover, and let it cook for about 5 more minutes.
Serve the frittata as a side dish or main with bread, Greek yogurt, pickles, or sauerkraut.