The crust is soft and crumbly and graham cracker like; the cashew cream top is smooth and topped with freshly chopped almonds, followed by a thick layer of sweet, cinnamon-sprinkled pears. We based our recipe for this pear tart off of a similar recipe from Go Dairy Free.
Pear and Almond Tart [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Pear and Almond Tart [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 cup coconut flour
- 1/4 cup brown rice flour
- 1/4 cup vegetable shortening
- 2 tablespoons brown rice syrup
- 1 1/2 cup raw cashews
- 1/3 cup water
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- (1/2 cup sliced almonds)
- 2 pears
- 1/8 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
How to Prepare Pear and Almond Tart [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees
- Combine sugar, coconut flour, and brown rice flour in a mixing bowl. Add in melted earth balance and brown rice syrup and stir well. Mixture will begin to form crumbles. Press entirety of crumbly mixture into a 9 in spring-form or pie pan.
- Set aside.
- Combine the first 4 ingredients listed above into your food processor on high for 3-5 minutes. (You want the cashews to whip into a thick cream-like consistency.)
- Once the cashews have become 'cream', pour the entire mixture into the set aside crust. Use a spatula to smooth out the cream mixture...and taste test the batter.
- Once the batter has been poured into the crust, top with the almonds, spreading evenly. Almonds can be purchased pre-sliced, or easily cut. Just whip out some almonds, a big knife, and a cutting board. Easy peasy!
- Cut pears into slices by cutting in half lengthwise, then beginning at the top and working your way to the bottom, make about 1/8-1/4 inch slices. Do this for both pears. Discard or compost the leftover core.
- Pour sugar, cinnamon, and nutmeg into a bowl. Stir to combine.
- Add pear slices, using a wooden spoon to toss them with the sugar and spice mixture.
- Once tossed, lay pear slices on top of cashew cream and almond layer.
- Layer slices slightly on top of eachother, the smaller ends coming together in the middle.
- Bake at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, or until pears soften. Test pears with a toothpick if needed.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.