This unique curry is composed of fruity papaya along with tricolor quinoa and creamy coconut milk. It's quick to make but tastes amazing. Don't throw out the papaya seeds, either! They can be ground up into a spice to add along with the others.
Papaya Coconut Milk Curry [Vegan]
- 1/2 of 1 13-ounce can coconut milk
- 1 cup tricolor quinoa
- 1 medium sized papaya (don't throw away the seeds)
For the Spice Mix:
- 1/2 teaspoon chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon paprika, sweet
- 1 teaspoon paprika, spicy
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon papaya seeds, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 212°F.
- Cut the papaya in half, remove the seeds and place them in a sieve. Rinse the seeds and squish them in your hands to remove the majority of the skin. Place the seeds on a baking sheet and roast them in the oven for about 10-15 minutes.
- Scoop the papaya flesh out with a spoon and cut it into slices.
- Rinse the quinoa and cook it with a little over 1 cup of salted water for 10 minutes. Drain off the water and set aside.
- Add the coconut milk to a pot and bring it to a boil.
- For the spice mix, add all the spices to a mortar and stir them together, including the papaya seeds.
- When the coconut milk is boiling, turn down the heat and add the spice mix. Stir it and bring it to a boil again. Add the papaya lastly and let it simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Serve the curry in a bowl with the quinoa.