This pancake calzone is all sorts of tasty fusion. It's savory and fluffy with a delicious filling made of smoked tofu, sweet potato, and super fresh spinach. Add some coconut curry paste and a saucy cashew cheese drizzle on top and there's no doubt that this dish is a winner. Enjoy this in the morning or when you're craving breakfast for dinner!
Pancake Calzone [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups gluten-free flour of choice
- 2 cups non-dairy milk
- 1 tablespoon baking soda
- Salt, pepper, and herbs to taste
- Olive oil, for baking
For the Filling:
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and cut into cubes
- 1 cup smoked tofu
- 1 cup fresh spinach
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 red onion
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon curry paste
- 1 tablespoon oil
For the Cashew Sauce:
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/2 cup coconut milk or water, double it if you like it more of a liquid-consistency
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, optional
- 1-2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
To Make the Pancakes:
- Mix all ingredients in a bowl. Adjust amount of liquid so that you have a soft dough.
- Heat oil in a frying pan, then bake the pancakes 2-3 minutes from each side. Be careful when flipping.
To Make the Cashew Sauce:
- Transfer all ingredients to a blender and process until smooth.
To Make the Filling:
- Put the coconut milk and the sweet potato cubes on a saucepan and bring to a boil. Let simmer for about 10 minutes until the sweet potato is just soft. Remove the cubes from the milk and let it reduce for a couple of more minutes. If it is still too liquid-like, bind with a bit of flour. Add curry paste and mix well.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F. Cut the smoked tofu into cubes and roast in the oven for 10-15 minutes.
- Cube the red onion. Heat oil in a saucepan, then add the red onion cubes. Sauté for 2-3 minutes, then add washed fresh spinach and garlic. Mix and let cook briefly until the spinach just begins to wilt. Remove from heat.
- To serve, place the filling on one half of the pancakes, flip over the other side and sprinkle with the cashew sauce.