In Belgium, where endives have been cultivated for centuries, they are called “white gold.” Whether you want to bestow the same prestigious title on these pan-seared Belgian endives is up to you. When cooked, endives become tender and take on a light and nutty flavor. They also become mildly sweet, something we've amplified with a delicious white wine orange reduction.
Pan-Seared Belgian Endives With White Wine Orange Reduction [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pan-Seared Belgian Endives With White Wine Orange Reduction [Vegan]
- 3 medium Belgian endives
- 1/3 cup white wine vinegar
- 1/3 cup orange juice
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons crushed pistachios
- Sea salt
- Fresh black pepper
How to Prepare Pan-Seared Belgian Endives With White Wine Orange Reduction [Vegan]
- Wash endives and chop off the tough bases of each one, about 3/4 inch. Be careful not to remove too much – you want to keep the leaves intact! Chop the endives in half vertically.
- In a small saucepan, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil on medium. Add about half of 1/3 cup [around 3 tablespoons] of white wine vinegar and stir. Continue stirring occasionally to prevent scorching. Reducing will take 15-20 minutes while the endives cook.
- In a large cast-iron or non-stick skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil on medium heat.
- Place endives into the pan, cut side facing down. Cook for 5-7 minutes until the cut sides are golden brown and crisping. Add the remaining white wine vinegar and allow it to absorb for 1-2 minutes.
- Flip the endives, carefully to keep them from falling apart. Sprinkle with salt and black pepper to your liking. Add half of 1/3 cup of orange juice and cover.
- Decrease the heat to low and cook for 15 minutes, until endives become tender.
- When the white wine vinegar starts to reduce and look thicker, add the remaining orange juice and 1 tablespoon of maple syrup. Stir to combine and bring to a boil. Continue stirring as the sauce thickens and becomes syrupy.
- When the endives are tender and the sauce has thickened, remove from the heat and drizzle the endives with the sauce.
- Sprinkle with crushed pistachios, serve and enjoy!
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.