These grain-free tortillas are bright from grated beets, with a slightly sweet and earthy flavor. Fresh thyme gives them a subtle taste and aroma that’s totally appealing to everybody. Serve with anything you like, from eating it as a side with curry or using it to make your burritos.
Beet Tortilla [Vegan, Paleo]
- 6 tablespoons warm water
- 2 tablespoons chia seeds
- 1 1/2 cups grated beets
- 1 cup almond flour
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Soak chia seeds in warm water for 10 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and prepare a cookie sheet with a greased parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the ingredients and gently mix to form a soft dough. Mix with your fingers until they stick to each other and dough is formed. Don’t overdo it.
- Divide the dough into 6 equal parts. One by one, take each part between your palms, form a ball, and press gently from the center. Put the flat ball on the cookie sheet and gently press into a thin round tortilla shape without breaking too much. Press as thin as possible.
- Repeat the above step for the rest of the dough and place the tortillas on the cookie sheet at least 1/4-inch apart.
- Place the cookie sheet on the bottom rack of the oven and bake for 20 minutes or until you get a nice aroma. After 20 minutes, shift the cookie sheet to the middle rack until the tortillas are slightly brown on top and the sides are crispy, about 5 minutes, turning the cookie sheet at the halfway point.
- Serve warm with your choice of toppings or entrée.