Orange zest gives these beautiful madeleines a wonderful hint of citrus flavor, making it an excellent compliment to a cup of strong, black coffee.
Orange Zest Madeleines [Vegan]
- 1 cup plain flour
- 2/3 cups cane sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 6 tablespoons aquafaba (liquid drained from a can of chickpeas)
- 2/3 cup melted vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon orange extract
- 1/2 teaspoon orange zest
- 2-3 tablespoons powdered sugar
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Melt the butter in a small pan and set aside to cool slightly.
- In a large bowl, sift together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the whisk attachment, add the aquafaba and sugar. Beat on low for a few minutes until mixed and slightly foamy.
- Slowly add the flour mixture while beating on medium until well mixed. Slowly drizzle in the melted butter. Add the zest and the orange extract.
- Beat until the mixture is smooth and shiny. It will resemble a thick batter.
- If your pan is not a non-stick pan, flour and butter the madeleine pan and carefully spoon a tablespoon of the mixture into the pan. Bake in the oven for 4 minutes, then rotate and bake for another 4-8 minutes until golden brown. The middle of the madeleine should spring back when touched.
- Remove from the oven, leave the pan to cool for 2 minutes. Carefully remove the madeleines from the pan. Cool the madeleines with the flat side on a wire wrack.
- Repeat the baking process with any leftover batter.
- Once cooled, dust the madeleines with a little powdered sugar.