This nutritious and flavorful recipe is ready for your dinner table in just 20 minutes. This dal is made from softened pigeon peas, savory sautéed onion, and tomato that are mixed with a warm blend of spices. This dal can be served as a soup, or as a side with rice, or with any flat bread, such as roti, chapati, or naan.
Onion Tomato Dal [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup pigeon peas
- 2 teaspoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 4 curry leaves
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-inch piece ginger finely chopped
- 3 green chilis, slit
- 1 big tomato, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon turmeric powder
- A pinch of asafoetida/hing/onion powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 5 strands of coriander leaves chopped
- Salt, to taste
- In a pressure cooker, wash and add the pigeon peas and water, bring it to a nice boil. Close the lid and pressure cook for about 8 minutes, or for 2 whistles. See that the water is at least 1/2-inch above the dal.
- Once the cooker is cooled down, remove the lid and whisk the cooked pigeon peas until it is blended into a smooth paste.
- Meanwhile, heat oil in the pan. Add cumin seeds and when they start to splutter, add the curry leaves and sauté for few seconds.
- Add the onion, garlic, green chilis, and ginger and sauté until onion becomes translucent.
- Add the chopped tomato, salt, turmeric powder,and asafoetida to the cooked pigeon peas and bring it to a nice boil, or until the tomatoes become soft. Adjust the water for desired consistency.
- Add the sautéed ingredients and coriander leaves and mix well.
- The onion tomato dal is now ready. Serve hot.
- Black Eye / Pigeon Pea