Smoky shiitakes and rich caramelized onions are nestled in a little puff pastry nest, making these adorable tarts a perfect appetizer for your next fancy party. But you shouldn't wait that long to make them – they're perfect for any occasion!
Onion and Shiitake Tarts [Vegan]
- 1 large red onion
- 10 shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tablespoon of Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon of balsamic vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of maple syrup
- 1 pinch of sea salt and black pepper
- 1 sheet of puff pastry dough, thawed
- Cashew cream and fresh herbs for serving (tarragon or thyme!)
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- Slice the onion and sauté on a medium heat until slightly caramelized. Add salt, pepper, balsamic and maple syrup.
- Cut out the puff pastry dough to the shape of your dreams. Spread with mustard, leaving the outer edge clean. Add the onions on top, followed by the mushrooms and a sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Bake for 15-18 minutes. Serve warm with fresh herbs of your choice and a drizzle of cashew cream with plenty of lemon juice.