Bursting with flavors, this creamy and fragrant one-pot split pea curry is a complete meal on its own. Mildly spiced so that the whole family can enjoy it with rice or grains of your choice and plenty of fresh coriander. Like most curried dishes, it is even better the day after so you can look forward to a tasty packed lunch.
One-Pot Split Pea Curry [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups yellow split peas
- 6 ounces carrots
- 7 ounces leeks
- 1 medium onion
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 1/3-inch thumb of ginger
- 1 1/2 tablespoons mild curry powder
- 1 14-ounce can chopped tomatoes
- 1 14-ounce can coconut milk
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- Lemon juice, to taste
- Large bunch of coriander, to serve
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a large saucepan. Gently fry finely chopped onion and crushed garlic until soft with the curry powder and grated ginger.
- Cut carrot in 1/3-inch dice and leek into 1/3-inch slices.
- Add vegetables and yellow split peas to onion mixture. Mix well. Add tomatoes, vegetable stock and coconut milk.
- Bring to the boil then cook half-covered under medium heat for around 35-45 mins until split peas are cooked and vegetables are tender.
- Season to taste with lemon juice, salt, and pepper.
- Serve with plenty of chopped fresh coriander.
- Split Pea