I had leftover carrot mash from carrot juice and was unsure how to use it when I had a brilliant idea, to use it in the pizza dough as an oil replacement. I tried it and had glorious success. The idea was inspired from the baking gods and goddesses and I am thankful!
Flax Meal Pizza Crust [Vegan]
- 2 cups flax meal
- 1/2 cup warm water
- 3/4 cup carrot pulp (from carrot juice)
- 3 cloves garlic – minced
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Dash: Red pepper flakes, oregano, rosemary, basil, sage and pepper.
- 1/2 cup finely chopped red onion
- 2 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp finely chopped jalapeno (optional)
- 1 cup tomato puree
- 1/2 tsp salt and pepper
- Pinch of red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp oregano and 2 tbsp basil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Coat a pan with olive oil (or line with parchment paper)
- Combine the flax meal and warm water in a large bowl, mix well. Add the balance of the ingredients and stir to combine.
- Roll up your sleeves and begin working the dough, kneading for 1-2 minutes until completely worked together. I find getting my hands wet first and along the way helps.
- Roll the dough into a ball, place it in the center of your pan and begin to form your pizza. I like to leave a high edge for a thick crust!
- Bake for 30 minutes until it is almost completely done. While it is baking prepare your sauce and toppings.
- Pull it out of the oven, top with sauce and your favorite toppings and bake for another 10-15+ minutes until done. Serve hot and enjoy!!!
- Saute the onions, garlic and jalapenos in 1-2 tbsp of water until soft.
- Add the balance of the ingredients and simmer on low, heating throughout, while the pizza is cooking.
- Flax Seed