This hearty, dense olive oil chickpea bread is perfect for making sandwiches or toast. It uses an olive hummus instead of flower and this swap gives the bread a unique flavor and texture that is completely addicting.
Olive Chickpea Flour Bread [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Olive Hummus:
- 15-ounce can olives, pitted
- 15-ounce can chickpeas
- 2-3 tablespoons tahini
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for garnish
- 1/2 cup water
- A pinch of salt
- 1-2 garlic cloves (optional)
For the Bread:
- 3 1/2 cups chickpea flour
- 1 batch olive hummus
- 6 cloves garlic, blended into the hummus
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/3 cup sunflower seeds
- A pinch salt
- Aquafaba from a 1 15-ounce can of chickpeas
- Make the hummus by blending everything together in a food processor.
- Mix hummus, chickpea flour, lemon juice, baking soda, a pinch of salt, and the aquafaba in a bowl.
- Use a spatula to combine all the ingredients until you have a well-mixed dough.
- Transfer the dough to a baking pan prepared with parchment paper.
- Top the bread with sunflower seeds.
- Cover the pan with aluminum foil and bake it for 70 minutes at 405°F.