Need a crowd-pleasing treat to bring along to brunch? These decadent doughnuts are made from almond flour and rice flour, making them gluten-free and oil-free thanks to a combination of applesauce and almond butter. Instead of coconut oil and sugar, the glaze is made from dark chocolate and full-fat coconut milk. They're the dessert you’ve been dreaming about! That is, if you like healthier, chocolatey, and doughnut-y things.
Oil-Free Glazed Chocolate Doughnuts [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Dry Ingredients for the Doughnuts:
- 1 cup blanched almond flour
- 1 cup brown rice flour
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1/3 cup minimally processed sugar, like coconut sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
Wet Ingredients for the Doughnuts:
- 1 cup unsweetened non-dairy milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/4 cup raw almond butter
- 2 tablespoons ground flax seeds, plus 4 tablespoons water
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
For the Glaze:
- 8 ounces vegan dark chocolate
- 8 ounces full-fat coconut milk
- Preheat oven to 350°F.
- Prepare a doughnut pan (or two, if needed — many of them hold only six doughnuts). If the pan is non-stick, skip greasing it with oil.
- Mix the flax with the water and set aside.
- Combine all dry ingredients.
- Mix all wet ingredients together until smooth.
- Add wet ingredients to dry and mix well.
- Portion batter into doughnut tins using a small ice cream scoop (about 2 tablespoons) to ensure they are filled evenly.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Let cool, then glaze.
- For the glaze, chop the chocolate (or use chocolate chips) and combine with the coconut milk in a saucepan. Heat on low, stirring constantly until the chocolate is melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Dip the cooled doughnuts into the chocolate mixture. If you like, sprinkle some cacao nibs on top for a fun crunch.
- Let the doughnuts sit out for a few hours so the chocolate glaze dries.
- Store refrigerated.